University Hospice is one of the most important services we offer at Staten Island University Hospital. Our mission is to meet the needs of patients, families and loved ones during the last days of a dying patient. When the time for hospice comes, we offer comprehensive palliative care that focuses on physical, social, emotional and spiritual support for yourself, family and loved ones.
Hospice care can help your loved one be more comfortable, particularly when curative therapy is no longer effective. We aim to make end of life as smooth, natural and painless as possible. We believe that personalized palliative care and sensitivity to individual needs help patients have full and rewarding lives. We will ask for your input to better plan our services as effective resources for the dying patient. At University Hospice, we actively support you—whether patient, family, loved one, or friend—during this difficult time, and our bereavement program continues that support after the passing of your loved one.
In providing compassionate service to patients and loved ones, and in keeping with the University Hospice mission statement, we strive to do the following:
- Exceed your expectations by always offering the highest standard of care available—in hospice as in all divisions of Staten Island University Hospital
- Respect the dignity of our patients and enhance the quality of life
- Relieve pain, anxiety, discomfort and other disturbing symptoms as much as possible
- Plan all care with your primary input
- Meet your individual goals
- Help you and the patient develop effective coping mechanisms
- Offer an atmosphere of comfort and compassion while helping you process the emotional impact of death
We are located on the campus of Staten Island University Hospital at 475 Seaview Avenue on Staten Island. If you'd like more information on the palliative care services we offer at University Hospice, or would like to schedule a visit in person, please feel free to contact us at (718) 226-6450.