Visiting hours & guidelines
Care is provided in a patient-centered atmosphere that is respectful and mindful of the important role visitors play in a patient’s well-being. Please keep the following visitation guidelines in mind.
Visitors are welcome at any time during the patient’s stay. Visitors may stay with a family member or friend who is being treated in the emergency department, for outpatient services or ambulatory surgery. Patients can choose who can and cannot visit them while they are in our facility without regard to legal relationship, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
Limits on visiting from our staff must be reasonable, based on the patient’s medical condition and explained to patients and their chosen support persons and/or representative. Reasons for limiting visitation may include the following:
- The patient requests restrictions or time limits for visiting
- There are safety concerns, such as risk of infection
- Visiting interferes with the care of other patients, including the need for their rest and privacy
- A visitor has a current court order that restricts contact with the patient
- A visitor becomes disruptive, threatening or violent
- The patient is in a substance abuse or mental health treatment program that requires limited visiting
Visits from children
- Children are welcome to visit a family member, but those under the age of 16 should be supervised by a responsible adult during their visit.
- Young children are expected to stay with a responsible adult who is supervising them to ensure a safe and restful environment for the patient and other patients sharing the room.
- There are no age restrictions for visiting children, but supervising adults are encouraged to keep their visit brief.
Staten Island University Hospital is a smoke-free campus. Smoking is not allowed in the hospital, or in any area outside the hospital, including the parking lots. This includes electronic cigarettes. The Center for Tobacco Control offers free stop smoking programs. Please ask a staff member for a brochure or call (516) 466-1980 for more information. You also can reach our center by emailing [email protected] or visiting our website Northwell.edu/stopsmoking.
Visitor ID badges
For the safety of our patients, visitors and staff—all visitors and patients, including guests of employees—must check in with security upon entering the hospital. Security personnel will scan the guest’s valid photo ID and/or take a picture and print a personalized badge for visitors to display and identify themselves on hospital property. Badges are used to scan through optical barriers at the entrances, must be worn at all times and will remain active for 72 hours, after which visitors must check in to obtain a new badge. Returning visitors need only mention their name for a badge. All information is stored on an internal secure database. Your safety is our priority. If you see an individual without a badge, please promptly inform a staff member.
For our visitors’ convenience, parking lots are located adjacent to both University Hospital North and South. Valet parking is available at the North site at the Tower entrance.
Because time spent in the hospital can be one of spiritual growth and healing, pastoral care is available to support your needs with priests, rabbis, imams, ministers and pastoral care associates. Call ext. 9435 to request the sacraments, communion, confession, and/or anointing, or to request your personal clergy person.
A Christian chapel is located on the main floor across from the elevators for all of our patients, their families and staff. The chapel is open 24/7. Bikur Cholim is located in Room 2D22 at the North site for our Jewish patients, their families and staff. The Muslim prayer room is located on the second floor of the main building for our Muslim patients, their families and staff.
- North site: A Catholic mass is celebrated at 4pm on Saturdays, 1:30pm on Sundays, and 1pm on holy days of obligation in the Regina McGinn Center on the second floor.
- South site: Mass is celebrated Saturdays at 5pm. All services are in the main conference rooms and are viewable on TV Channel 15.
- A Muslim prayer service is held on Fridays at 1:30pm in the Muslim Prayer Room.
- All services are televised on Channel 86.
If you need cash during your visit, ATMs are available in four locations:
- On the ground floor of the main lobby
- On the second floor cafeteria North
- On the first floor in the gift shop South
- In the main lobby South
Located in the lobby of both hospital sites, our gift shops stock convenience and specialty items. If you need a special gift for someone—birthday, anniversary, holiday, or other special occasion gift—visit us in the gift shop or call us and we will have a personal shopper help you select, wrap, and mail your gift.
You can call the gift shop at ext. 8302 North or ext. 2047 South.
Food and amenities
If you need refreshments while you’re visiting, we have healthy options for meals, beverages and snacks including kosher and halal meals upon request.
- SIUH North site: 2nd Floor, Main Building
Hours: 7am to 7:30pm
- SIUH South site: Lower Level, Main Building
Cafeteria hours are 7:30am to 7pm daily.
Located at the North site on the first floor, Tower lobby, the Atrium Express offers grab and go foods. Hours: Monday through Friday: Open 24 hours Saturday and Sunday: 8am to 3am.
Lost and found
If you lose or find anything while at the hospital, you may contact the Security Office, which operates the hospital’s lost and found. You can contact the Security Office at (718) 226-8419.
The Information Desk helps patients and visitors get where they need to go. Located in the main lobbies at both the North and South campuses, our information desk can help you with:
- General information such as locations for food, ATMs, gift shops and more
- Maps and directions to hospital departments and physicians’ offices
- Bus and train schedules
- Parking information
- Details about religious and spiritual services
- Directions to other Northwell Health facilities
- Upcoming events, news and weather on our digital bulletin board