Welcome to the Staten Island University Hospital Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Here you will find information on a wide range of cosmetic and reconstructive procedures for adults and children.
Our dedicated team of physicians provides highly personalized care using state-of-the-art equipment and techniques. We help people who have body defects due to trauma, birth disorders, burns, and disease to improve function. We are also specialists in the latest cosmetic procedures to keep you looking and feeling your best.
Questions to ask
Plastic (reconstructive) surgery and cosmetic surgery are complex procedures requiring advanced knowledge and skill. The education and experience of your surgeon matters. There are also other important factors you should consider when deciding on plastic or cosmetic surgery. Before you proceed, ask your surgeon these questions:
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Were you trained specifically in the field of plastic surgery?
- How many years of plastic surgery training have you had?
- Do you have hospital privileges to perform this procedure? If so, at which hospitals?
- Is your office-based surgical facility accredited by a nationally or state-recognized accrediting agency, or is it state-licensed or Medicare-certified?
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- What will be expected of me to get the best results?
- Where and how will you perform my procedure?
- What surgical technique is recommended for me?
- How long a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
- How are complications handled?
- How can I expect to look over time?
- What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the cosmetic outcome of my surgery?
- Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at for this procedure and what results are reasonable for me?